Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Last Curtsey for Farida Oetoyo

Young Ibu Farij (image retrieved from other blogspot user)
1939-2014
May she RIP, Valar Morghulis.
Today I lost my greatest ballet teacher, Farida Oetoyo, who was also the most senior Indonesian Ballerina and founder of Sumber Cipta Ballet School. 
She departed from this life by having left her huge contribution in ballet and other cultural artwork for Indonesia.
Even in her elder life, she still came to teach young kids and beginners, while sometimes telling us her nostalgic stories. 
Ibu Farij was undeniably strict, discipline, yet creative and open-minded. 
Once I had a brief conversation with her when she asked me my major study in Criminology. 
I never imagined before that a senior Ballerina like her had concern on humanity and laws.
With ballet, she trained us to focus and have firm control over the mind and body.
With her forte in teaching, she taught us to believe in ourselves that goal can be achieved by strong will and never giving up on trying.
Ibu Farij, here I salute you for the last time:
port de bras, step aside for plie, and curtsey.


No comments:

Post a Comment